For the production of pigment by Trichophyton rubrum
- Skimmed milk powder (use only Dutch Jug skimmed milk powder) 7 g
- Honey 10 g
- Cornmeal agar (Oxoid CM0103) 17 g
- Chloramphenicol 0.05 g
- Distilled water 1000 ml
- Weigh skimmed milk into stainless steel jug. Slowly add some water, mixing milk into smooth paste. Continue adding small quantities of water until powder is dissolved (about 150ml).
- Weigh other ingredients into skimmed milk and allow to soak.
- Boil remaining water, and with it wash out honey from beaker.
- Add to other ingredients and boil.
- Dispense for slopes if required.
- Autoclave for 10 minutes at 121C.
- On removal from autoclave allow to stand 5 minutes then shake and slope on racks or pour plates which ever is applicable.
Note: Do not filter or adjust pH in any way.