Bird Seed Agar
For the selective isolation of Cryptococcus neoformans and C. gattii.
- Guizotia abyssinica (niger seed) 50 g
- Glucose 1 g
- KH2PO4 (potassium dihydrogen orthophosphate) 1 g
- Creatinine 1 g
- Bacto-agar (BD) 15 g
- Distilled water 1000 mL
- Additives: to each 500 ml bottle.
- Penicillin G (20 units/ml) 1 mL
- Gentamicin (40 mg/ml) 1 mL
- Grind seeds of Guizotia abyssinica as finely as possible with an electric grinder and add to 1000 ml distilled water in a stainless steel jug.
- Boil for 30 minutes, pass through filter paper and adjust volume to 1000 mL.
- Add remaining ingredients except Bacto-Agar to filtrate and dissolve.
- If required: Cool to room temperature and pH to 5.5
- Dispense into 500 mL bottles.
- Add 7.5 g Bacto-agar to each 500 mL reagent bottle.
- Autoclave at 121C for 20 minutes.
- Cool to 48C and add 0.5 ml Penicillin G and 0.5 ml Gentamicin to each 500 ml of Bird Seed Agar.
- Mix gently and pour into 90 mm plastic petri dishes.