Lactophenol Cotton Blue (LPCB)
For the staining and microscopic identification of fungi
- Cotton Blue (Aniline Blue) 0.05 g
- Phenol Crystals (C6H5O4) 20 g
- Glycerol 40 mL
- Lactic acid (CH3CHOH COOH) 20 mL
- Distilled water 20 mL
This stain is prepared over two days.
- On the first day, dissolve the Cotton Blue in the distilled water. Leave overnight to eliminate insoluble dye.
- On the second day, wearing gloves add the phenol crystals to the lactic acid in a glass beaker. place on magnetic stirrer until the phenol is dissolved.
- Add the glycerol.
- Filter the Cotton Blue and distilled water solution into the phenol/glycerol/lactic acid solution. Mix and store at room temperature.